UPDATE 11/15/2012: The safety and security of all participants on our trips is always at the top of our priority. We are constantly reviewing all security measures and will implement the most stringent security measures throughout the trip to ensure that we provide a comprehensive safety umbrella. A group's itinerary can and will be changed immediately and we will determine "no travel zones" as needed on an ongoing basis to reflect any heightened risk or security concerns. No effort or expense is spared as it relates to the safety and security of our participants.
Israel Free Spirit is committed to providing a safe and secure travel experience in Israel. While our approach to security is systematic and comprehensive, we are equally committed to providing you with meaningful and entirely enjoyable experience. It is our sincere belief that these two elements of the program do not need to be mutually exclusive.
The following are the basic components of our approach to security:
- Each group is accompanied in Israel at all time by one or two medics / security escorts.
- Each group's itinerary is approved two weeks before the trip and re-approved each morning of the trip by a special "Situation Room" that is operated in partnership with the Israeli security services on behalf of Taglit-Birthright Israel.
- Each group carries a GPS communication and tracking device to ensure that the group is always in contact with the "Situation Room".
- The program itinerary does not include visits or travel anywhere near or within the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
- While the program does make visits to Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, our travel within the major cities is generally confined to closed areas with special protection (e.g. the Western Wall, Yad VaShem, etc.). We never travel in crowded public areas, and we always travel on our own private buses.
- While we make every effort to give participants space and time to explore on their own, there is no leaving the group without approved supervision.
Finally, it is important to remember that over the past 13 years, over 330,000 people have visited Israel on a Taglit-Birthright Israel gift without a single security-related incident. Behind this statistic is a truly iron clad commitment to providing a secure environment on all of our programs.
If you, your family, or a friend would like to discuss our security approach in greater detail, we encourage you to contact us directly at 845-290-9778.